FRAUD AND WASTE IS COSTING THE TAXPAYER BILLIONS A YEAR – It’s nothing new to hear that our Government is incompetent or that our Ministers and MPs are corrupt but did you know that the UK Government is wasting over £120 billion of your hard earned money every year?
While that figure is shocking enough it has also been revealed that no less than £20 billion is lost due to fraud, while a further £15 billion is lost due to duplicate procurement in Whitehall and our Councils.
Let me put this in prospective; there are nearly 63 million people living in the UK which equates to a little over £1,900 being levied for every man, woman and child or £4,500 for the average household. It’s enough money for each family to splash out on a luxury holiday.
Austerity is a word used by Government to punish the taxpayer. It’s their way of providing a reason why you need to be paying more tax; not once does the Government ever tell the truth and tell you it’s because they are incompetent, liars and thieves; no, nobody really wants to hear or tell the truth; especially a politician.
In a recent report by the TaxPayers’ Alliance, which we should all be paying more attention to, revealed that proper accountability and sincere austerity measures within Government, Councils and Civil Servant offices could save the taxpayer approximately £120 billion a year.
The sum is so significant that, according to the TaxPayers’ Alliance, it could effectively wipe out the UK’s budget deficit and without the loss of a single hospital, firing of teachers or continuously disbanding our armed service regiments.
We’ve all been subjected to harsh austerity measures and we’ve all heard the Government rhetoric on how they are cutting spending; the NHS is suffering, our Armed Services are being eaten away and our education system is falling apart.
Yes the Government has taken steps to reform welfare in order to save billions but when you look at the way Government spends the taxpayers’ money is it little wonder why the UK is in such a financial mess?
Here are just some of the ridiculous spending activities of the Government; which could never be justified:
- The Ministry of Defence has been spending £22 each on light bulbs which could have been purchased for less than £1 each.
- Cotswold District Council hired a ‘motivational’ speaker to boost staff morale and performance at a cost of £19,000 with no tangible results.
- Durham Council, which is Labour run, gave its chiefs a £12,000 clothing allowance and despite the Prime Minister berating Durham Council nothing was done to stop the abusive spending.
- Over £21 million was spent by the Department of International Development on road building projects in Bangladesh. Due to the amount of corruption it was eventually pulled and there are little signs of any tangible results. Considering the state of the roads in the UK you would have thought it prudent to spend the money at home.
- Crawley Council wasted over £5,000 on vending machines for hot drinks. It was later discovered that if the council had simply brought teabags the cost would have been just £200.
- Hull Council decided to throw a concert to honour a councilor who is to become Lord Mayor this year. The cost was an eye watering £40,000.
- HM Prisons Services paid over £720,000 for actors to give role-playing lessons to prisoners in a bid to teach them how to handle a job interview.
- Stoke-on-Trent spent no less than £330,000 making 25 staff redundant and then re-hired all of them less than a month later.
Sick of it yet? Well there’s more and it gets much worse…
- Ministers appear to like their chocolate biscuits and between 2011 and 2012 munched their way through £3 million worth.
- Getting on and off the bus or tube doesn’t really appeal to our Ministers and this is evident when the bill for 2011 and 2012 was finally released at no less than £45 million.
- The biggest waste of taxpayers’ money comes in the form of fraud and it is thought that the public sector pilfered no less than £20 billion of the taxpayers’ money.
- Whitehall departments and councils also managed to lose more than £15 billion in duplicated procurements.
- It is irrelevant to Government officials that our Police officers are prohibited to use Rubber Bullets as the Government still managed to fork out over £420,000 on purchasing them last year alone.
- While we are a nation of Wildlife lovers it’s still difficult to see how Cheshire East Council managed to spend £30,000 on the construction of two Newt ponds that accommodated just 18 Newts. This was undertaken after a bypass was constructed which displaced the Newts. I’m not that opposed to such things but at £30,000 it is unthinkable how two ponds could cost so much
This is of course just the tip of the iceberg and the TayPayers’ Alliance website (link above) provides a lot more information.
I doubt anyone reading this will be the least bit surprised at just how incompetent and corrupt our Government is.
I recently wrote an article on how taxation way increasingly looking like a Government scam and the more I look at their dealings it is apparent that the money they raise is simply squandered and those who often benefit are those handing out the cash – your cash.
Do you think Government is incompetent and corrupt? What measures would use use to stamp out such wastes? Please leave your comments below.