Ukraine Begins Military Offensive as Ceasefire Ends
CNN – Ukrainian forces began military operations in the east of the country Tuesday, marking a definite end to a unilateral cease-fire that had been in place for 10 days.
The speaker of Ukraine’s parliament, Oleksandr Turchynov, told lawmakers the government’s “anti-terror operation” against pro-Russia separatists had been “renewed.”
Ukrainian armed forces have been conducting “attacks on terrorists’ bases and defended posts,” he said.
The announcement came hours after Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said that his country would not renew a cease-fire with the separatists, vowing instead to “attack and liberate our land.”
“Termination of cease-fire is our response to terrorists, insurgents, marauders … and (those who) deprive people of normal peaceful life,” Poroshenko said.
In a statement on his website, Poroshenko congratulated Ukraine’s armed forces and border guards for re-establishing control over the checkpoint at Dolzhanskyi, in “the first victory since the restoration of the CTO,” a reference to the government’s Counterterrorist Operation. He said the armed forces and the State Border Service of Ukraine regained control over the checkpoint and combat engineers removed mines from the checkpoint and adjacent roads.
See more EU News in our EU News Group
Have your say… Leave your comments below.